This course teaches how to understand and use the awk programming language. awk appears in many Unix shell scripts and the user needs to be able to understand/modify these scripts. awk can also be used to quickly extract data and generate reports.
- Explain what awk is and where it is useful
- Invoke awk from command line and from awk scripts
- Use awk to extract data form files in several ways
- Explain what awk patterns are and where they are useful when programming in awk
- Use expressions, ranges, and REs to define awk patterns
- Generate complex reports using awk
- Expressions and statements
- Flow control mechanisms
- Built-in variables
- Input and Output
- Format program output with “printf”
- Read/write files with pipes using awk’s I/O capabilities
- Use awk’s line parsing features
- Utilize commnad line parameters
- Use awk’s built-in string and arithmetic functions
- Define your own functions
- Create local variables in functions
- Write programs using awk’s arrays
- Manipulate arrays using array control statements
- Determine when arrays are useful data structures in awk programs
This course is designed for individuals who write/read/use shell scripts in a UNIX environment. The awk programming language is utilized in these scripts to extract data and generate reports.
- Intermiate Unix and Shell Programming, or equivalent
- Knowledge of the vi editor
The Student will be able to modify shell scripts which utilize awk; And will be able to write awk scripts for use at the command line or scripts to extract data and generate reports.
- PC Workstation for use during training
- Student Manual
No Reviews found for this course.