Introduction to Spark Programming
The course provides a solid technical introduction to the Spark architecture and how Spark works. It covers the basic building blocks of Spark (e.g. RDDs and the distributed compute engine), as well as higher-level constructs that provide a simpler and more capable interface (e.g. DataSets/DataFrames and Spark SQL). It includes in-depth coverage of Spark SQL, DataFrames, and DataSets, which are now the preferred programming API. This includes exploring possible performance issues and strategies for optimization. The course also covers more advanced capabilities such as the use of Spark Streaming to process streaming data, and integrating with the Kafka server. The course is very hands-on, with many labs. Participants will interact with Spark through the Spark shell (for interactive, ad-hoc processing) as well as through programs using the Spark API. After taking this course, you will be ready to work with Spark in an informed and productive manner. Labs currently support Scala – contact us for Python/Java support.
- Understand the need for Spark in data processing
- Understand the Spark architecture and how it distributes computations to cluster nodes
- Be familiar with basic installation / setup / layout of Spark
- Use the Spark shell for interactive and ad-hoc operations
- Understand RDDs (Resilient Distributed Datasets), and data partitioning, pipelining, and computations
- Understand/use RDD ops such as map(), filter() and others.
- Understand and use Spark SQL and the DataFrame/DataSet API.
- Understand DataSet/DataFrame capabilities, including the Catalyst query optimizer and Tungsten memory/cpu optimizations.
- Be familiar with performance issues, and use the DataSet/DataFrame and Spark SQL for efficient computations
- Understand Spark’s data caching and use it for efficient data transfer
- Write/run standalone Spark programs with the Spark API
- Use Spark Streaming / Structured Streaming to process streaming (real-time) data
- Ingest streaming data from Kafka, and process via Spark Structured Streaming
- Understand performance implications and optimizations when using Spark
|Session 1 (Optional): Scala Ramp Up
Session 2: Introduction to Spark
Session 3: RDDs and Spark Architecture
Session 4: Spark SQL, DataFrames, and DataSets
|Session 5: Shuffling Transformations and Performance
Session 6: Performance Tuning
Session 7: Creating Standalone Applications
Session 7: Spark Streaming
This course introduces the Apache Spark distributed computing engine, and is suitable for developers, data analysts, architects, technical managers, and anyone who needs to use Spark in a hands-on manner. It is based on the Spark 2.x release.
Reasonable programming experience. An overview of Scala is provided for those who don’t know it.
No Reviews found for this course.